ayachan91

Aya M. Productions

This is the Booklikes profile to my blog AYA M. Productions.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a bookseller, post graduate job seeker, avid reader, and a blogger. :)

Book Review: The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler

The Summer of Chasing Mermaids - Sarah Ockler

Note: I received an eARC of this title thanks to the publisher. I was not paid to write this. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

So far, all the bloggers that I know have loved The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler. & I definitely am part of that group. The Summer of Chasing Mermaids was such a heartfelt read with great characters and a wonderful small town setting.

I did honestly think that the story started off a bit slow, and the eARC formatting threw me off a bit when transitioning between flashbacks and present day narrations. Once Elyse met Christian Kane, however, things picked up quickly. Issues with the small town are brought up, and Christian and Elyse get dragged into it all with everything hinging on a single race.

I absolutely loved all the characters in The Summer of Chasing Mermaids. Elyse was such a strong young woman trying to deal with the loss of her voice. It takes a while to figure out how it happened, and the mystery of it all kept me reading. I wanted to understand Elyse and why she was brought to this small town. Once I knew, I loved her even more.

Christian isn’t a simple character either. He seems cocky and charming, but you soon find out that his life isn’t at all perfect. Then you bring in his younger brother Sebastian into the mix, and Christian definitely has his hands full trying to protect his younger brother that just wants to find the mermaids. (Sebastian is so adorable! Definitely one of my favorites!) & The relationship between Christian and Elyse was such a slow burning relationship. It was definitely enjoyable to read.

Sarah Ockler did an amazing job crafting a story that feels like a light read but ends up tackling a lot of deep issues such as family, friendship, misogynistic views, and dealing with a disability. It seemed as if every character was dealing with an issue. No one was perfect, but together they figured things out.

To quickly sum The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler, it is a must read summer pick that may read like a light summer read but actually has a lot of depth to it, tackling deeper issues. I definitely suggest this for all YA contemporary fans, and I hope the story touches you like it did for me.

Source: http://ayamproductions.com/2015/06/summer-of-chasing-mermaids