ayachan91

Aya M. Productions

This is the Booklikes profile to my blog AYA M. Productions.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a bookseller, post graduate job seeker, avid reader, and a blogger. :)

Book Review: Some Boys by Patty Blount

Some Boys - Patty Blount

Note: I received an eARC of this title in exchange for an honest review. All of my thoughts and opinions are my own and was not affected by receiving this eARC.

Some Boys by Patty Blount is a story with a strong message regarding rape and bullying. I loved that it was told in dual perspectives: the victim, Grace, and the rapist’s best friend, Ian. It was difficult for me to originally get into the story, but I loved the overall message and the way the story ended.

The story was difficult for me to get into because of various reasons:

1) The dual POVs. At first I was extremely confused as to why the dual POVs mattered and how they were connected. I think it also slowed the story down a bit since the POVs switched off each chapter. Once I got into the story though, it made sense.

2) The lack of authority figures at their high school. So technically teachers and the principal were present in the story, but their actions were highly lacking. Personally, I don’t care what their opinions of the situation were or who they sided with regarding the rape. I still can’t believe the teachers in that school allowed bullying to go on in the hallways and in their classrooms. Often we complain about the lack of parental figures in YA. For me, in this story, it was the lack of authority figures in school that was frustrating.

And 3) The lack of police work. This is probably more of a personal issue, being an aspiring forensic scientist, but the lack of police work was extremely frustrating to me. I know rape cases can often lead to a he said, she said situation, but knowing that she was taken to the hospital meant that it shouldn’t have been simply a he said, she said case. There definitely should have been more of a case.

I know it seems that there were many issues I personally had with the story, but I truly ended up loving it. The strong characters and the great parental presence made the story a good and meaningful one. I loved that Grace never gave up and kept fighting. She continued to face her bullies, standing up for what she believed in. I absolutely loved that about her.

Shockingly, I also ended up loving the dual POVs. Ian’s issues were also something that matters and needed to be addressed. Often rapists are people you trust and never expect. It can be difficult to believe that your friend, someone you grew up with, could do such a thing. So although, I was frustrated with and begged for Ian to see reason, I get how difficult it must have been. It was an issue I never really thought about until reading this story.

Despite a difficult beginning, I really enjoyed this story. Yes, I had many issues with it at first, but after sticking with it, I fell in love with the characters and their stories. I highly suggest trying to read Some Boys by Patty Blount if you’re looking for a more mature YA romance dealing with serious issues.

Source: http://ayamproductions.com/2014/07/some-boys